Sunday 5 August 2012

Ikea!!

Week 4: 14/05/2012 - 20/05/2012

Moving to KL allowed me to cleanse my belongings. 37kg soon gets filled up with a few clothes and some books. Despite getting a fully furnished flat, there were still a few things that I needed to buy to complete my minimalist life. So on my things to get list were the following:

1. Iron
2. Ironing board
3. Towels
4. Bathroom Cabinet
5. Laundry Basket
6. Tupaware
7. Tea Pot

Exciting times right?! I managed to get a few of things on my list, but what I really needed was a trip to Ikea. My friend Hanisa very kindly offered to drive me to the Ikea on the other side of town, to meet up with Christine for a fun afternoon of Expats Buying Boring Stuff in Ikea.

Ikea is the same all over the world:
1. Enter.
2. Follow the predefined route to ensure that you see every product Ikea stocks.
3. Become disorientated.
4. Have any female you are with try to make you buy something completely pointless that Ikea stocks.
5. Discover the reason Ikea's flat pack furniture is sturdy in the store is that they have attached it to the wall.
6. Lose the will to live.
7. Pay for all the cheap stuff you have bought only to discover lots of cheap stuff adds up to a large bill.
8. Leave.
9. Drown your sorrows with food.

At Setu Malaysia in Merdeka Square with Christine and Mani


As an interesting aside, the Malaysians don't usually like order, instruction, process.... but in Ikea, they were as well behaved as I've seen them.... if only they could learn to drive like that the country would be a lot safer!!

So having spent what felt like the entire weekend with Hanisa and Christine I finally got home with everything I need for my life.

Except a teapot.

No comments:

Post a Comment