Sunday 14 April 2013

The Visit

Week 40: 21/01/2013-27/01/2013


My visiting family kindly pointed out the following things about my adopted home city, which I hadn’t actually noticed in the 10 months I’ve lived in Kuala Lumpur:

  1. It’s too hot
  2. The traffic is awful
  3. It’s too humid
  4. The service is awful
  5. It’s too hot
  6. The tea is awful
  7. It’s too rainy
  8. The driving is awful
  9. It’s too hot
  10. The toilets are awful
  11. It’s too hot
Oh, and something else they mentioned was that it is too hot. That aside I think they quite liked it. I left them to their own devices on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday we headed up to Penang to stay in Georgetown. We had a tour of Suffolk House, a trip up the funicular railway to Penang Hill, a bit of a stroll around town and a visit to Cornwallis Fort. My birthday dinner in the Eastern Oriental Hotel, however, was incredibly disappointing. Despite the grand surroundings the food was average and the service poor.

Zoe with a cannon on Penang Hill
Thursday evening Zoe and I went out for a drink with Choi and her friends at Havanas.

Saturday we took a trip to the Royal Selangor Factory (after I'd been rescued from an addicental lie in (awoken from a nightmare about karaoke)). We had a go at making stuff out of pewter, which was great fun. Saturday evening we saw a bit of high pole Lion Dancing in the run up to Chinese New Year, which was incredible.

Birthday in Penang.
Sunday we headed to the National Monument which was quite impressive, followed by a quick tour of Central Market and Chinatown on a last minute souvenir run (thanks to Gemma for the tips on where to take mums!!).

The Westwoods in front of the Petronas Towers
A hectic, and at times stressful week, but great to see my lovely family and show them some of the places I frequent in Kuala Lumpur. 




1 comment:

  1. So, My sister has a correction to the above. She emailed me to let me know the following:

    There were good things, apart from the awful heat:
    1. Seeing you
    2. Seeing your cones and getting stuck in one of your traffic jams, on the other side of the world
    3. Seeing your flat
    4. Meeting Elke, the curtseying German
    5. Peanut biscuits
    6. Chicken satay
    7. Breakfast in Antipodean's and Annie's
    8. Going swimming
    9. The pewter
    10. Finding comfortable sandals
    11. Going out for a drink, meeting Choi and having my first Cosmopolitan
    12. Smugly using the hotel gym, while everyone was still asleep
    13. Flying on Air Asia, the biggest A320 customer in the world (and therefore bank-rolling my wages!)
    14. Seeing and going up the towers
    15. Staying in an old Barrack Block in Penang
    16. Finding the Twin Pioneer for dad
    17. Making friends with the giant flourescent locust on my window
    18. Getting a tan, which people are still commenting on!
    19. Going on a monorail
    20. Seeing the places you go to

    ReplyDelete